Rolfing Can Improve...
“We don’t say that Rolfing will cure a body or change a diagnosis. What we do say is that it will always better balance a person’s body around a central vertical line in the field of gravity, so that gravity will support that person rather than tearing them down. When this happens, it relieves a lot of the stress that’s involved with a particular disability.”
-- Robert Toporek, Certified Advanced Rolfer
General Benefits of Rolfing
Rolfing Structural Integration is often able to improve:
- movement patterns
- neurological functioning
- chronic pain and stress
- energy levels
Common Structural Discrepencies
Rolfing addresses and can improve common structural discrepancies and imbalances that manifest patterns such as:
- excessive spinal curvature
- knock knees
- bow legs
- anterior or posterior pelvic tilts
- pelvic rotations
- rounded shoulders
- forward head and neck
- flat feet
- uneven gait
- chronically tight, rigid and restricted tissues with decreased circulation
- a compressed spine and “core”, etc.
More specifically, the Rolfing process can often improve the situation of individuals who have a history of:
- Injury or illness that creates residual scar tissue, adhesions, or chronic postural adaptation to pain. Examples: surgery, fractures, disease.
- Chronic misuse, unconscious stress and warp of the physical structure. Examples: improper exercising, faulty posture.
- Emotional tension and psychological stress affecting the body as patterns of held tension, restriction of free movement, etc. Examples: teeth grinding, hunching of shoulders, restriction of breath.
- Habitual activities (work, sports, etc.), repetitive stresses, and unconscious postural imitation can create aberrant movement and structural patterns. Examples: computer programmers, postal carriers, dancers, hair stylists, baseball pitchers, runners, musicians.
Rolfing is contraindicated for those with infections, fevers, acute inflammation and recent trauma. Some forms of rheumatoid arthritis, severe osteoporosis or osteomyelitis are also contraindicated.